2D Acceleration

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

2D Acceleration

Postby mrormus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm struggling to get a p690 LP Plus PCIe x16 to work on a CentOS machine. I successfully compiled and installed the official drivers (1.4.6.2), configured xorg.conf, and now have a single screen for four monitors. However, the system is unusable, because any 2D translation (moving a window, click and dragging text, etc.) pegs the CPU, sometimes up to 100%. It seems that the GPU isn't handling any of the heavy lifting. Using tuxx-home's drivers doesn't fix the problem. I haven't seen anybody else with this issue.

I tried turning on busmastering in the Device section of the xorg.conf, but that didn't do anything. (Nor should it, as I understand it, since PCIe cards shouldn't have to enable busmastering, and even PCI cards should have it enabled by default.) Loading GLX fails with the xorg log warning:

(WW) MTX(0): OpenGL is disabled as this feature is not supported on this hardware

This strikes me as strange, since plenty of people seem to have OpenGL with their Matrox cards. But in any case, I think that OpenGL is only for 3D acceleration, so even if it were enabled, it probably wouldn't solve my problem.

I'm hoping that the fix is some silly xorg.conf option that I'm unaware of, or maybe an option that I should have specified when compiling the driver. Or perhaps an option I should have specified when compiling my kernel. I've attached my xorg.conf file, if that helps.

Thanks very much for any help/advice you can give.
Attachments
xorg.conf
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
mrormus
Private
Private

Re: 2D Acceleration

Postby Squonk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi, the latest official driver is 1.4.7. Please give it a try.
Squonk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby mrormus » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

I was hopeful as soon as I realized I had the older drivers. But I compiled and installed 1.4.7, and I experience the same behavior. I emailed Matrox about it, and presumably they're looking into it.

I've also tried the custom drivers (available at this site), to no avail.

Something I noticed: when I run glxinfo, I get this error:

glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This is strange, because I have the libstdc++ package installed and updated. glxinfo is also installed and updated, without any problems during the installation. Some googling tells me that this might be due to either A) an outdated glxinfo (eliminated) or B) a card that doesn't support 3D acceleration. I'm pretty sure other people on this board have gotten OpenGL working on their Matrox cards, so that seems wrong too

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
mrormus
Private
Private

Postby kelly0207 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

What I found really interesting is the fact that a 2 1/2 year old onboard IGP heavily outperformed even the highend GPU's in this category in some cases.
kelly0207
Private
Private

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards