Answer from Matrox

For questions concerning driver development in general, problems with the board or users, feature requests or other Off-Topic discussions.

Answer from Matrox

Postby agne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 am

I emailed matrox and told them about the problems with their drivers for linux. And today I got a response from them. Now I wonder if you have any ideas what I should respond :).

Email as follows:
Hej xx,

sorry to hear about your troubles. Matrox has always been a "Windows company" although our Open Source Concept for the G-series previously opened up a lot of opportunities for non-Windows OS.

If the card is not yet in trash and you tell me a bit more what you are using it for and what features you would like to get, I can see if I can find some help for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Katrin
agne
Private
Private

Re: Answer from Matrox

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 am

That can't be true... If that's really her answer, please PM me the full name of this Matrox employee and/or mail address and I'll tell some people at Matrox I know if that's the answer she was supposed to give.

As suggestion for an answer, you could point her to:
[http://tuxx-home.at/matrox-todo.txt]

And tell her, their development team should already have gotten this list and while you're at it, ask her about the progress ;)
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby agne » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi xxx,

Thank you for that and we have had a meeting today with visitors from our HQ. They confirmed that we have increased our Linux staff considerably. Unfortunately, things on that domain cannot change overnight, perhaps you can be a bit patient. Can you tell me in which environments you use our cards and if there is a specific reason for Matrox in these cases?

In the meantime, I will forward your To Do to our HQ for reference.

Katrin
agne
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:15 pm

perhaps you can be a bit patient.

I've been patient for the last four years... Is that enough patience?

:) Heads up for all of us, maybe things do really change...
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby Qoel » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 pm

Please, let this be true !
I updated to Xubuntu 8.10 and because of Xorg v7.4 I can't use the unofficial driver anymore..
I did a clean install of 8.10 and now I'm using the standard mga driver. I don't like it..
There is no acceleration.. and I think everything is just a bit slower..
Oh, please, let this be true !
Oh, Matrox, I'll love you (more than ever) if you do !

[Can't manage to get my ESS AUDIODRIVE ES1869 working 2..]

Btw I like tuxx-home ! :) Thanks for the unofficial drivers..
Qoel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm

I did a clean install of 8.10 and now I'm using the standard mga driver.

I do not want to be the one with the bad news, but I do also not want to be the one that let's you in good hope too.
To be honest, I doubt that the mga driver will be updated to work on newer Xorg versions. The latest update to the
mga driver was years ago, so they probably dropped support for it at all. They do not even build cards using this
driver anymore, but they're still selling them, so you might want to contact Matrox Tech support with your request.

As I said many times here, the more people bug Matrox with their requests, the higher is the chance that they'll
do something about that.

Can't manage to get my ESS AUDIODRIVE ES1869 working 2..

There's a general linux support forum in here too, so give me a chance to help you in solving this issue :)
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to General questions