Some confusion over use of dual monitors

For questions concerning driver development in general, problems with the board or users, feature requests or other Off-Topic discussions.

Some confusion over use of dual monitors

Postby mort » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:13 am

I happened on this forum while googling, and hope someone can help.

I have a desktop running FreeBSD 7.0, Xorg, and the Ratpoison window manager. I just got a Matrox g450 card and am working to get it running under X. I have a 17" IBM and a 15" Dell, both CRT's. Resolution on both to be 800x600.

What i want is to run an x terminal displaying output on one monitor, and run a web browser displaying output on the other. The Ratpoison Wm allows this on a single monitor by splitting the screen. However, I would like to switch between two monitors with a hot key if this is possible.

Not looking for a complete how-to. Want to know if it's possible, and maybe point me to some documentation.
mort
Private
Private

Re: Some confusion over use of dual monitors

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:52 am

Hmm... Using hotkeys might be a bit tricky. Does ratpoison support switching from and to virtually tiled desktop areas using hotkeys?
If so, you could set up a merged dualhead setup (that would mean two screens act as one big screen) and let ratpoison divide the screen into two parts.
Now you should be able to switch between them using hotkeys.

Is that a way to go for you?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Re: Some confusion over use of dual monitors

Postby mort » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 am

Yes, ratpoison can enable vertically split screens, although I have only used horizontal splits so far. I'll need to experiment with rhis. Thanks.
mort
Private
Private

Return to General questions