ubuntu hardy slow when desktop effects enabled

For questions concerning driver development in general, problems with the board or users, feature requests or other Off-Topic discussions.

ubuntu hardy slow when desktop effects enabled

Postby jp734 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:17 am

I have a g550 dual head vga/dvi card and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. The driver I'm using is the one from the Ubuntu CD installation disk. Everything is working fine and I have the screen resolution at 1280x960 (maximum I can set it, even though I know that my monitor is capable of 1280x1024 and the card even higher resolutions) but every time I enable the desktop effect, everything goes really really SLOW.

Do you think, that if I try installing "matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run",this will fix my problem?

thanks,
Rudy
jp734
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: ubuntu hardy slow when desktop effects enabled

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat May 10, 2008 11:31 am

What driver is currently installed on your system? The Xorg mga driver or one of the official/unofficial mga driver versions from Matrox/me?
The Xorg mga driver itself does _NOT_ support hardware acceleration at a satisfiable level, so if you're looking for hardware acceleratoin, 4.4.4 is the way to go for you.

It may also be able to fix your resolution problem because the unofficial mga driver features a different way to set Modelines, so yes, if you're currently running the Xorg mga driver, the unofficial driver will help you.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby jp734 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I will definitely try it then and will let you know. - Thanks again.
jp734
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat May 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Alright. Please come back here then if you experience any troubles with the driver.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to General questions