mandriva - kernel 2.6.24 on mac

This section covers everything that is related to VMware on Linux hosts and VMs with Linux as guest OS

mandriva - kernel 2.6.24 on mac

Postby erichake » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi,

I installed a mandriva 2008 spring guest on my "real" macintosh with vmware fusion 1.1.1 (72241). When I saw it was impossible to mount shared folders on this virtual machine, I found your website on the net. I replaced the vmhgfs.tar file in vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source by the one you provides for 2.6.24 kernels.

Then I launched again all the vmware-install.pl process. This time (great job !) the compilation of vmhgfs module worked ok, but at the end, when trying to starts services, I have :

Starting VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
Switching to guest configuration: [ OK ]
Guest filesystem driver: [ OK ]

Mounting HGFS shares: [FAILED]
Guest vmxnet fast network device: [ OK ]
DMA setup: [ OK ]
Guest operating system daemon: [ OK ]

The funny thing is that now, when I check the "Activate" box of the "Shared Folder" in the vmware fusion setup menu, it refuses to check it when I press the "apply" or "ok" button...
Of course, I can't see anything in "/mnt/hgfs/"

An idea ?

Thank's a lot for your job
Eric
erichake
Private
Private

Re: mandriva - kernel 2.6.24 on mac

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:12 pm

vmhgfs seems to be broken on Fusion with 2.6.24 but I don't know why, currently.
Although it compiles, I get kernel panics on my system when trying to mount the vmhgfs filesystem (you do too, that's why it says "failed" in the "Mounting HGFS shares" output, check the output of `dmesg` or have a look at /var/log/kern.log.

Compilation and loading of the module works fine, but the filesystem won't mount.

I now suspect (looking at 2.6.25) that the reason for this might be the ongoing change to virtual filesystems in the linux kernel which have been completed on 2.6.25, so maybe 2.6.25 works better in this case, but I'll have to look at this tomorrow (or even today evening, I'll carry my hackintosh home today, maybe I have some time at the evening to look deeper into this issue).

I'll keep you updated about this issue.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:36 pm

OK, I updated the tar-balls and diffs at [http://projects.tuxx-home.at/vmware/tools/7.6.2-72241/].

vmhgfs and all other modules should now work fine on VMware Fusion and linux kernel 2.6.24 as guest.
Please give the new patches/tar-balls a try and report back wheter they worked or not for you.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby erichake » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Incredible !

Everything works ok now !
I actually replaced all the tar modules of the source folder by yours, and I have shared folders, drag and drop onto the client, onto the host, etc...

Thank you so much : you really did a great job !

Yours,
Eric
erichake
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks for confirming that it works now :)

I gonna close this topic now.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to VMware