VMware Workstation 6.5 runs ok on Ubuntu 8.10

This section covers everything that is related to VMware on Linux hosts and VMs with Linux as guest OS

VMware Workstation 6.5 runs ok on Ubuntu 8.10

Postby KathleenCallaway » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:43 pm

When I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.4.0 to Ubuntu 8.4.1 and then to Ubuntu 8.10, I spent a great deal of time wailing and gnashing my teeth over earlier versions of VMware Workstation (6.0.3, 6.0.4, and 6.05) and patches. For example, VMware complained that the gcc C compiler delivered with Ubuntu 8.4.1 did not match the one used to compile that kernel. Other combinations of Ubuntu/VMware/patches did not compile for me. One combination compiled and appeared to install correctly but then complained that the number of the vmmon module expected did natch the vmmon module available, so VMware would not open my virtual machine. Groan.

However, I found that VMware Workstation 6.5 installed and worked with no problems, no need for patches, on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), kernel version 2.6.27 (32-bit).

I pass this experience along for those (like me) who were apprehensive about upgrading: make the big leap; forget the small, cautious steps.

Hope this helps,
Kathleen Callaway
KathleenCallaway
Private
Private

Re: VMware Workstation 6.5 runs ok on Ubuntu 8.10

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm

VMware complained that the gcc C compiler delivered with Ubuntu 8.4.1 did not match the one used to compile that kernel

That does always happen when you do a system update and exclude the kernel from it, or don't reboot after the system upgrade.
This is a security feature, but not in terms of avoiding break ins or something like that, but just because different compiler versions produce different code and when the main system component (the kernel) is compiled with gcc 4.0 and a kernel module gets compiled with gcc 4.1, that may cause serious trouble on your system.

So if you use the distirbution kernel from ubuntu, upgraded gcc and the kernel to the most recent version, rebooted and still get this problem, it's a fault in Ubuntu's packages where they did not recompile the kernel image with the latest available gcc version before shipping it along with the new gcc version.

Other combinations of Ubuntu/VMware/patches did not compile for me.

I do provide quite some updates for the VMware tools package on [http://projects.tuxx-home.at] and if you ever happen to need a specific VMware Tools version on any recent or older kernels, just post your request in here and I'll have a look.

If the compilation of the VMware workstation/server whatever host modules did not succeed on your running kernel, you need to google for the vmware-any-any updates, IIRC, they can be found at: [http://http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/].

Thanks for the heads up on this topic, though (and many, many thanks for your great donation, it's very much appreciated!!).
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Re: VMware Workstation 6.5 runs ok on Ubuntu 8.10

Postby SieFu » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:25 am

it runs on my ubuntu Ubuntu 8.10 without any problem but when i upgraded my ubuntu to 10.4

it doesn't work.

does it means that my new ubuntu doesn't support VMWare Workstation 6.5.

any help
SieFu
Private
Private

Return to VMware