xserver failed to start

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

xserver failed to start

Postby tamoc » Wed May 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi @ all,

yesterday I upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04. Unfortunately now I get only a login-prompt in a shell-terminal and I can't start kdm or the x-server. It seems the problem is the xorg.conf. If I delete this file at /etc/X11/ the x-server runs and I get the kdm-login-screen. But it runs only with the vesa-driver and the monitor resolution is too low.

Any idea why my xorg.conf I used with the mtx-driver since 3 years doesn't work no longer? Compiling and installing the mtx-driver ran without any errors.

Thank you for help and excuse my "schrecklich" english :?

With best regards

tamoc
tamoc
Major
Major

Re: xserver failed to start

Postby dr.kimble » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi,

maybe your problem is related to my problem that was posted yesterday. I tried Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) 10.04 also. I can run Ubuntu with normal resolution, although in single-screen mode only. There were no problems with dual-screen mode in Ubuntu 9.10, although the configuration had to be done by hand.

How does your Xorg.log file look like, are there any error messages? On my system it seems that certain required modules cannot be found in the driver modules. Don't know why. Probably the Matrox driver (1.4.7) does no longer work with the Linux kernel. But I'm not an expert, no idea what might be wrong.

Regarding the xorg.conf file - don't let the driver setup routine or "matroxconfig" make any changes to your xorg.conf. They will mess up the file. Any changes have to be made manually with a text editor, then leave xorg.conf alone. It took me quite a while to learn this lesson.

Best regards.

Update: added my logfiles to my previous post.
dr.kimble
Private
Private

Postby tamoc » Thu May 06, 2010 8:43 am

Hi,

I attached the both files - the xorg.0.log and my xorg.conf. I hope you can see any problems for solving easily :wink:

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards.
Attachments
xorg.conf
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Xorg.0.log
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
tamoc
Major
Major

Postby dr.kimble » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Your xorg.conf was created/modified by the "matroxconfig" routine, as far a I can see from the embedded comments.

Are you really using just a single monitor with 1920x1200 pxl resolution, or what is your exact monitor configuration?
dr.kimble
Private
Private

Postby tamoc » Fri May 07, 2010 8:30 am

Yes, I use just one monitor, a gentle calibrated 24'' wide-gammut-display ;-) Until I upgraded to 10.04 everything worked fine with this configuration. :?
tamoc
Major
Major

Postby dr.kimble » Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Your logfile gives the reason:
Code: Select all
"Parse error on line 73 of section Device in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   The Screen keyword requires a number to follow it."

The problem appears to be here:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "mtxwizard_device_0"
   Driver      "mtx"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
   Screen      "mtxwizard_screen_0"
   Option       "XFB" "on"
   Option       "UseFBDev" "on"
   # generated by mtx wizard
EndSection

Add
Screen      0
to this section and try again. Edit xorg.conf manually, and don't let it be changed by matroxconfig.
dr.kimble
Private
Private

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards