Problems with dual-head P650 and driver 1.4.7

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

Problems with dual-head P650 and driver 1.4.7

Postby 298 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:24 pm

After Matrox released the 1.4.7 driver I rebuilt my machine using Ubuntu 9.04. Unfortunately, there a few things things that don't work as nicely as when I was using the latest unofficial 1.4.6 driver and Ubuntu 8.04. I have a P650 in dual monitor configuration and my xorg.conf is at: http://www.pastebin.ca/1433605

Here are the points, I posted some of them before in a different thread, but that wasn't really the right one. Some help would be really appreciated.

Whenever I start an application, I get the message:
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"
If I switch off xinerama, these messages won't show up, but that's not really an option.

Switching to a console with ALT+F1 will restart X. I have the feeling that this happens all the time when I have vga=791 on the kernel line in grub and less often when this option is absent. The syslog then contains the following two lines:

x-session-manager[4710]: WARNING: Detected that screensaver has left the bus
gdm[4444]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

And in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old we can find some bracktraces, see here: http://www.pastebin.ca/1435823

The most annoying thing is that sometimes it goes into a mode (mood?) where the mouse is displayed on the left (primary) screen, but the events are sent to the right screen. When I click on a window on the left screen, nothing will happen (right screen is empty). When I right-click somewhere on the left screen, the context menu pops up on the right screen. Alt-tab is also displayed on the right screen even though the mouse is on the left. This stops once I move the mouse to the right screen and do a right click there. Still haven't figured out what causes this to happen. There were days when it happened all the time, today it doesn't. When it does happen, Xorg.log contains many of the following lines:

miPointerConstrainCursor: Invalid input device pointer
miPointerWarpCursor: Invalid input device pointer
miPointerUpdateSprite: Invalid input device pointer

Previously when I started X there was always the moment where a blue Matrox splash screen told me that the driver was running fine, whereas a grayish splash indicated the opposite. Nowadays Ubuntu is booting much faster and the splash screen won't be visible most of the times. Of course I appreciate the faster boot, but is there a check to verify that the driver is ok, for example after a kernel upgrade?
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Problems with dual-head P650 and driver 1.4.7

Postby tomcat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 am

Hi !

I con only try to comment on your 4th question.
Have you tried "lsmod | grep mtx"
This should show you, if the mtx driver is loaded.

Tom.
tomcat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards