Triple Head Installation on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

Triple Head Installation on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope

Postby metroplex » Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi everybody

I have migrated my OS from MS Windows XP to Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. I also have installed the latest driver for my matrox parhelia graphic card (matroxdriver_mtx-x86_32-1.4.6.2-installer) . Then I have made a restart to reconfigure the graphic card. But the xserver could not be loaded after the restart and so I had to reset the settings. As I've read that from Ubuntu Intrepid and upwards there is no need for the reconfiguration of the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf because the new hardware should be recognized automatically on runtime. The execution of the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" lets only configure the keyboard. There aren't any options to reconfigure the graphic card anymore.

So, I wanted to ask you if somebody could give me a hint to overcome this inconvenient situation. I don't want to migrate back to MS anymore!!!

I thank you ahead.
metroplex
Private
Private

Re: Triple Head Installation on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope

Postby Carl Johnstone » Wed May 06, 2009 11:02 am

Unfortunately you're stuck.

Ubuntu Jaunty and Intrepid (the previous release,) both use X 7.4 which was released last September. The new X release has huge improvements, but broke the Matrox driver and they haven't yet updated it. There's been some talk of an updated driver - but the best thing you can do is raise a support ticket with Matrox to let them know that you're yet another Linux user who is struggling due to lack of support for the OS.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/contact/

In the meanwhile you're limited to running a single screen in VESA mode.
Carl Johnstone
Private
Private

Re: Triple Head Installation on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 am

Yah, it has hit me too on my rig at work, single screen, vesa, no chance of getting anything more out of it :-/
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards