pbioslin.bin does not work with P690

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

pbioslin.bin does not work with P690

Postby istr » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello tuxx-home,

as this is my first post here I would like to thank Alexander Griessner for this great piece of information.

It seems, that pbioslin.bin is not able to update P690 cards at all.

Currently I tried to backup/update the BIOS of my P690 LP PCIx16. However, the utility failed to detect my card.
The card works perfectly well with the latest mtx driver (without full glx support, but this is a known bug).
I de-UPX-ed the utility "upx -d pbioslin.bin" (cf. http://upx.sourceforge.net/) and straced, both in 32bit and 64bit
mode. Within the text segment I discovered the command line switch -scan and this is the output:
----
Matrox BIOS update utility - Version 1.74 Copyright (c) 2005 Matrox Graphics Inc.
Graphics card information
Model: Matrox Graphics Card
Serial Number: Unknown
PCI location: Bus: 0 Device: 0 Function: 0
Graphics BIOS: Version: Unknown
Product ID: Unknown
Serial EEPROM: Type: Unknown
Size: Unknown
----

I filed a support request at the matroxx support site and this is the answer:
-------
Unfortunately, the Linux BIOS update utility does not support P690 and it has not been updated for a while. If you need to update the BIOS on your Matrox card, the workaround that we suggest is to use a Windows system at this time until an updated Matrox BIOS utility for Linux will be available.
-------
istr
Private
Private

Re: pbioslin.bin does not work with P690

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for this information, I wasn't aware of the fact that the pbioslin doesn't work for the P690 cards.
I will update the HOWTO post accordingly so people know this in the future.

Again,
many thanks!
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards