Parhelia and X Composite Extension (XGL & AIGLX support)

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

Parhelia and X Composite Extension (XGL & AIGLX support)

Postby ralphclark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Dear Tuxx

My Parhelia DL256 is desperate for drivers that will allow me to use its full capabilities on Linux.

From what I read, Matrox's current Parhelia drivers for X on Linux don't support the X Composite Windowing Extension, that's in turn needed for the XGL and AIGLX extensions (and therefore for 3D desktops such as Compiz).

Does Matrox need to get this working in their drivers first, or is it something you might expect to crack all by yourself one day?

What's your honest assessment of the likelihood of Parhelia *ever* supporting these features on Linux?
Should Parhelia owners who're hoping for desktop "bling" just give up on the idea and go get an ATI card?

Best Regards
Ralph
ralphclark
Private
Private

Re: Parhelia and X Composite Extension (XGL & AIGLX support)

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Such features need to be implemented in the Xorg driver (mtx_drv.so) which is closed source, so I cannot make modifications to it.
I told Matrox that these features are really important for most linux users and that they need to get it fixed soon and as mentioned several times in here, they replied with "we're working on it, expect a new driver by the end of the first quarter 2009".

I don't know how much to trust this deadline, maybe it's even at the end of the frist half of 2009 and maybe the new driver then will have everything but XGL/AIGLX support. Honestly, I don't know because I cannot look behind the scenes.

But to be sure, you could ask Matrox Tech support if this feature will be added to the next driver release and when we can expect it. Maybe some things have changed since the last time we asked :)
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby Squonk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi,

last week I recieved an answer from Matrox support on my request for an updated driver:

'There is no announced or fixed date for a new release yet, but we expect a driver at the end of the second quarter of 2009.'

:?

Best Regards
Christian
Squonk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby ralphclark » Sat May 30, 2009 2:03 am

OK, so the new 1.4.7 driver supports the RANDR extension and that's about all we get, besides fixes for broken compatibility issues. We're no closer to having support for indirect rendering or AIGLX and therefore no 3D desktop. Matrox's admonishment to wait and see was apparently nothing more than an attempt to postpone complaint in the hope that enough of us would get get bored in the meantime and just go buy another vendor's card.

From what Tuxx says, despite the Parhelia's adequate hardware capabilities the shortfall can't be addressed by anyone in the OSS community because the MTX driver, where the relevant changes must be made, is closed source. I guess if Matrox were going to open it they would have done so already, and it'll likely stay closed source until the cards it supports are too obsolete to care about and their vaunted "intellectual property" has become effectively worthless.

If they'd had no intention of substantially updating the driver they should have just come out and said so. What a disappointment, and I feel a real fool for having let them hoodwink me with empty hints all these months.
ralphclark
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am

Yes, exactly what I thought when we got the new driver. Yes, it works and yes, they have added a few small new features, but we will always be years behind the current state of the art.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards