Mtx documentation

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

Mtx documentation

Postby cobnet » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:35 pm

tuxx-home.at suggested to start a new thread about the documentation: readme.txt . And so I did.

Maybe there is some outdated information, maybe just some little typo or maybe you even want to provide a translation :)!?

BTW: tuxx-home.at suggested the General Questions forum, but as this is documentation about the mtx-driver I choose this forum. Tuxx-home.at: if you think it's more appropriate to move this thread to another forum, be my guest :).
cobnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby cobnet » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:56 pm

I'll start: there is a section about removing modules. I think there is a typo there:
Code: Select all
"glx" (if oOpenGL is required)

"glx" (if OpenGL is required)

There are three sections where the use of root is "discussed": in the preface, in section 3 and in Appendix C. Personally I would change the text in the preface to the following (and omit the talk about root in section 3):
If you are unfamiliar using the commandline interface (cli), using the root user and/or editing configuration files, I strongly suggest to read Appendix C!

I would change the part about the root user in appendix C to:
root user
--------------------
After installing, almost all distributions set up a default administrative user with the username 'root'. Many options (such as installing the Matrox kernel driver) are available only to 'root' users.

Of course, you can login as root as would do any other user. But as it is generally a good practice to remain root only as long as it is necessary to accomplish the task requiring root privileges, I don't advise you this way.

It's better to use the substitute user command ('su') at the command prompt as we used extensively in our examples. Note: on some systems you may need to enter "su - root" instead of "su root"  when changing to the root user account. An example from the readme:

# su root [ENTER]
# sh mtxdriver-X.X.X-X.run [ENTER]
# exit [ENTER]

Some systems come with the 'sudo' utility which allows users to run a specified program as root. This means that if you are using sudo:

# sudo sh mtxdriver-X.X.X-X.run [ENTER]

Last suggestion, for appendix C, instead for the preface:
# vs #
------
You will see a lot of '#' symbols in this readme, still they do not always mean the same.

If we are talking about example command sequences, you don't enter the '#' sign, it just represents what would be seen on the command line. Note that [ENTER] means pressing the 'Enter' key on your keyboard.

If we are talking about configuration files and a line that needs to be commented out (eg. #Load "v4l"), you have to type the '#' symbol, so that the software won't use that line.

Please correct any typos.
cobnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:17 pm

I think there is a typo there:

Correct.

I would change

Of course, you can login as root as would do any other user.

to

Of course, you can login as root as you would do with any other user.

And let us change

# su root [ENTER]
# sh mtxdriver-X.X.X-X.run [ENTER]
# exit [ENTER]

to

# su root [ENTER]
# sh matroxdriver_mtx-x86_32-1.4.4.4-installer.run [ENTER]
# exit [ENTER

which reflects the new naming scheme on the matrox drivers and brings
an example that could be always the latest available driver version that
this readme file is bundled to.

According to the above mentioned change, let's modify

# sudo sh mtxdriver-X.X.X-X.run [ENTER]

and change it to

# sudo sh matroxdriver_mtx-x86_32-1.4.4.4-installer.run [ENTER]
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby cobnet » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:58 am

Looks good to me. Could it be that the link http://tuxx-home.at/projects/mtx/latest/readme.txt hasn't been updated yet?

Off topic, but anyway: wouldn't it also be a good idea to make a sticky read only thread about new drivers coming out? You can point users to the "Watch this topic for replies" so they get mail when an updated driver is released by you.
cobnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:43 am

Could it be that the link http://tuxx-home.at/projects/mtx/latest/readme.txt
hasn't been updated yet?

No... :roll:

wouldn't it also be a good idea to make a sticky read only thread about new
drivers coming out?

I guess, it would. I'll start a new topic about this.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby cobnet » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 am

tuxx-home.at, I think you have forgotten your own suggestions for the readme (eg. matrox_mtx... instead of mtxdriver...) :p...
cobnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Well, am... hmm.... :oops:

Updated :) Thanks for the info.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards