Any hope of upgrading P series drivers?

This forum is for all Parhelia based cards (Millenium P650, P690, P750, QID, Parhelia 256, APVe, ...) that need the mtx driver to run properly.

Any hope of upgrading P series drivers?

Postby HiTop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:52 am

I just installed a P690 and was hoping to be able to get a full feature set working on OpenSuse 11.4 but it appears the drivers are well out of date with regard to Xserver changes. I have started to work through the compiler errors but am hitting issues I cannot fix easily. Does anyone have any interest in working on these files also?
HiTop
Private
Private

Re: Any hope of upgrading P series drivers?

Postby tomcat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Don´t waste your time.
Buy an Nvidia or ATI card. In the end, it´s "cheaper" in terms of time invested - or with Matrox probably time "wasted"...

I spoke to Matrox at Cebit in Hannover (early March) about Linux support - and the guy promised to get back to me - which he hasn´t done so far...
(ATI: see my post further down about installing an ATI card. I am now a happy ATI user...)

my 2 cents.
Tom
tomcat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby HiTop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:56 pm

What card are you using though? I need PCI and an ATI was unobtainable.
HiTop
Private
Private

Postby tomcat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 am

For PCI there are only a few boards. :(
Quick check: http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?cat=grp&xf=653_AMD
gives 2 boards with a 4350 GPU and a FireMV 2260 board.

I am using a 5570 PCIx in a Dual-Head configuration. I started off with a 4350, but it seemed to have been too slow for 2x 1920x1200 and I had issues with the mouse freezing inbetween screens (Theses issues are not totally gone with the 5570, but I only had it once or twice ever since instead of daily or multiple times a day).
HTH
Tom
tomcat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Matrox P-Series Cards