not installing...

Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of the Cisco VPN Client on Linux systems

not installing...

Postby DoppyNL » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am

Hi people,

I'm trying to install the vpn client, but it fails to install.
I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, as I'm not what you would call an advanced user...

I've used this client before in Ubuntu 9.04, it worked fine then. I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, since then the old one didn't work.
So I'm trying to install the new one, but I'm getting this result:
Code: Select all
root@sauron:~/documents/scripts/vpnclient# ./vpn_install
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.02 (0030) Linux Installer
Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

By installing this product you agree that you have read the
license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with
its terms.

Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]

In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build]

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
* Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/CiscoVPN".
* The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
* Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build" will be used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]

Making module
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
  CC [M]  /home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.o
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‘interceptor_init’:
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:132: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:133: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:134: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘do_ioctl’
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‘add_netdev’:
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:271: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:272: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‘remove_netdev’:
/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.c:294: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
make[2]: *** [/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient/interceptor.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/doppynl/documents/scripts/vpnclient] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2
Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

What am I doing wrong??

I also tried patching it using the patch, but that one also failed...
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, out of the box, on a 32bit system. An older version of the client was installed on this computer before the upgrade to 9.10, it has since then been removed.

thank you for your help.

gr.
Daan
DoppyNL
Private
Private

Re: not installing...

Postby DoppyNL » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:11 pm

As happens a lot, I've solved the problem myself!
Well, not entirely, I applied someone else's solution.

See http://www.lamnk.com/blog/vpn/how-to-in ... la-64-bit/

I followed the instructions on that page.
Applying the patch did give some errors, but that seemed to have been fixed by the manual change in some files.
After that installing went on without a problem and I'm allready connected again.

saves me from working in windows at home... was in there for an hour, that was annoying...

thanx for the help though! :)
DoppyNL
Private
Private

Re: not installing...

Postby tbrowder » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm

I have the same problem, and I've tried making sense out of all the conflicting patches but gave up because I don't have time to fool with it. My working solution for my upgraded Ubuntu 9.10 is to go back to kernel 2.6.28-16-generic and use the previous procedures with vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.01.0640-k9.tar.gz and all is working well so far (fingers crossed). If you have more than one cpu, I do recommend the script for the multiple cpu workaround since you must not use multiple cpus while connected.
tbrowder
Private
Private

Return to Cisco VPN Client on Linux systems