vpn headache ....

Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of the Cisco VPN Client on Linux systems

vpn headache ....

Postby scoobymad555 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey all

Been trying unsuccessfully to get connected to a vpn setup from my linux box running ubuntu hardy 8.04 (32bit). The vpn in question lands at a cisco concentrator and isn't mine (is provided from ntl) so i'm pretty much on my own in terms of support. Only thing i have is a .pcf file. Network-manager just failed to connect and told me nothing so i changed to using kvpnc which reported a "user password error" ..... except i know the password is ok and working as it connects from a microsoft machine. Annoyingly, the user account also locks for about 20 to 30 mins courtesy of the failed attempt so testing isn't particularly easy either.

Decided to go back to basics and start ground up so removed the network-manager-vpn plugin, uninstalled kvpnc and also uninstalled the old vpnc program with the intention of installing the new one along with the patch from tuxx-home site. Downloaded vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.01.0640-k9.tar.gz and the patch (vpnclient-linux-2.6.24-final.diff) then set about installing by following the instructions on the site. Untarred fine and the patch appears to have applied ok too. Ran the install command and it appears to have installed ok but scrolling back up i noticed a "WARNING" message :

WARNING: could not find /home/ben/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/ben/vpnclient/libdriver.so

Haven't had an opportunity to test the install yet since i need to use the vpn at the moment and can't have the downtime waiting for it to unlock itself if the attempt fails and results in the account locking itself again.

Should i be concerned with this warning though? If I should, what's the rectification for it? - a brief google suggested others with similar messages resolving them by installing "build-essentials" but i thought i'd check it here first .... that and was hoping someone may have suggestions as to my initial problem ;)

Oh and also, don't think it'll make a difference but due to some other annoying issues with network-manager i'm currently planning to remove it completely so everything will be done from command line :)
scoobymad555
Private
Private

Re: vpn headache ....

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 am

I'd strongly suggest to remove the cisco vpnclient installation again in favour of the lastest version (4.8.02) which can be downloaded from here:

[http://projects.tuxx-home.at/ciscovpn/clients/linux/]

No patching is usually necessary for this driver version, just make sure to copy your .pcf file to /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient/Profiles after you installed the driver and manually run a `/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start`.

Then, when the kernel module has been loaded successfully and you can afford a 30 minutes downtime, could you please try to run the following command and post me the exact output?

Code: Select all
vpnclient connect YourProfilenameWithoutThePCFending

You may - of course - anonymize the public IP addresses.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby aya » Wed May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

I am having the same warning about vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd with the latest version of 4.8.02 downloaded just 30 mins ago. But I am also not sure if it is something to be concerned with.
(Kubuntu 9.04, 32-bit, 2.6.29-02062902-generic #02062902 SMP)
aya
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm

No, the warning is ok, as long as the client works, you can ignore it.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby aya » Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately it does not work... I am getting kernel panic every time I try to interact with vpn host.
I have Core 2 Duo.

Before loading the module I did:

- echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
- confirmed that only 1 cpu is now left in /proc/cpuinfo
- brought down all network interfaces except for eth0 and loopback
- loaded the module
- connected to my network
- tried to ping the host behind vpn

... and got kernel panic

Where I went wrong?
aya
Private