Ubuntu 8.10 - 2.6.27-7 - 64 bit - 4.8.02.0030-k9 issue

Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of the Cisco VPN Client on Linux systems

Ubuntu 8.10 - 2.6.27-7 - 64 bit - 4.8.02.0030-k9 issue

Postby stereoit » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi,
I've tried installing Cisco VPN client on latest Ubuntu 64 bit and with following results:

vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.02.0030-k9.tar.gz
./vpn_install
Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build]

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
* Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/CiscoVPN".
* The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
* Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build" will be used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]

Making module
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2
Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

After some reading I tried:
me@here:/usr/src/vpnclient# export KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1
me@here:/usr/src/vpnclient# ./vpn_install
Making module
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
CC [M] /mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function ‘CniInjectReceive’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:341: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:342: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function ‘CniInjectSend’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:481: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:482: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:491: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:491: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
CC [M] /mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.o
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c: In function ‘queue_fragment’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:50: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:50: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:52: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:52: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:70: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:70: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:73: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:73: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c: In function ‘have_all_fragments’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:126: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:126: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:134: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:134: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:141: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:141: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:142: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:146: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:146: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c: In function ‘need_reorder_frag’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/frag.c:198: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
CC [M] /mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
CC [M] /mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.o
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‘recv_ip_packet_handler’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.c:646: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.c:667: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘CniNewFragment’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‘do_cni_send’:
/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.c:785: error: invalid operands to binary - (have ‘sk_buff_data_t’ and ‘unsigned char *’)
make[2]: *** [/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient/interceptor.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/mnt/hardy/usr/src/cisco/vpnclient] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'

Can anybody advise me?
stereoit
Private
Private

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 - 2.6.27-7 - 64 bit - 4.8.02.0030-k9 issue

Postby birdman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:07 am

Have you tried the patch from:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=604#p4249
birdman
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby stereoit » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:02 pm

birdman wrote:Have you tried the patch from:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=604#p4249

Thanks, it now compiles successfully. I hope I won't get no hangups no more, as it was really annoying to disable SMP before any Cisco VPN connection.
stereoit
Private
Private

Postby birdman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:37 am

> I hope I won't get no hangups no more

That bit I can't help with. I suspect it part of the binary library blob which Cisco supply.

This entry may be of interest (if not of much actual use or hope...)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=457&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p3524
birdman
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Bloodsurfer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Hello friends, I'm another one who has this kind of problem with the Cisco client.

I am using Gentoo, 64 bit system (two cores) and kernel 2.6.27 - I have to use that kernel since this laptop has an Intel 5100 chip in it which was not supported before.

Well, the Cisco client compiles and installs with this patch, but as soon as I start to use the vpn connection I get kernel panics, leds start to blink and the notebook switches off. I tried the trick with disabling one of the cores - but that doesn't work for me, no matter if I use 'cat 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online' or if I start the machine with grub parameter to disable SMP, it still locks up when using the vpn.

I tried older versions of the client, no difference.
Bloodsurfer
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

no matter if I use 'cat 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online' or if I start the machine with grub parameter to disable SMP

cat 0 > /sys/devices/... is wrong, it must read "echo 0 > /sys/devices/...". Could that be the problem?
And, what grub parameter are you using? Are you sure it gets honoured? Once you booted, try to verify that with the command:

Code: Select all
cat /proc/cmdline

And have a look at the output of the online sysctls in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/online to see, what CPUs are _REALLY_ online.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby Bloodsurfer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:25 pm

tuxx-home.at wrote:
no matter if I use 'cat 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online' or if I start the machine with grub parameter to disable SMP

cat 0 > /sys/devices/... is wrong, it must read "echo 0 > /sys/devices/...". Could that be the problem?
And, what grub parameter are you using? Are you sure it gets honoured?

Woops, my error. I meant echo and wrote cat here ;) Of course I used echo and it did really disable the second core, that worked. As grub parameter I used "nosmp", that worked too. With both methods I definitely had only one cpu core in use but the system did still crash as soon as I was using the vpn connection...
So my problem seems to be not smp-, but x86_64- and/or 2.6.27-related...
Bloodsurfer
Private
Private

Postby bmanjb » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I have a similar problem.

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
* Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/CiscoVPN".
* The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
* Kernel source from "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic" will be used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]y

Making module
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic SUBDIRS=/opt/vpnclient modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic'
CC [M] /opt/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
In file included from /opt/vpnclient/Cniapi.h:15,
from /opt/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:31:
/opt/vpnclient/GenDefs.h:113: error: conflicting types for ‘uintptr_t’
include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of ‘uintptr_t’ was here
make[2]: *** [/opt/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/opt/vpnclient] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic'

What do i need to do?
bmanjb
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 am

Are you sure that you're using the latest Cisco VPN client release, 4.8.02.0030-k9?

If not, the client can be downloaded from [http://projects.tuxx-home.at/ciscovpn/clients/linux].
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Cisco VPN Client on Linux systems