[SOLVED] G200. Mouse pointer disappears

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

[SOLVED] G200. Mouse pointer disappears

Postby JonathanEllis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:43 pm

My mouse cursor becomes invisible when hovering over some graphically rich applications: most often Firefox when trying to drag maps in googlemaps.com. It also happens in XSane when I hover over the preview window to select a scan area.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on a Dell Dimension 2400 with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Celeron 2.40GHz CPU. I have a Matrox MGA G200 PCI twin output graphics card. I am googling this problem at the moment but have not found anything yet.

Can you point me in the right direction to some info to help me fix this please?
Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Jonathan
Last edited by JonathanEllis on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonathanEllis
Private
Private

Re: G200. Mouse pointer disappears over graphically rich apps

Postby JonathanEllis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Solved my problem using information found here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15

I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows

Added this line to the "Device" section
Code: Select all
Option "HWCursor" "off"

In my case I added this to both Device sections as the G200 needs two Device sections (one for each output) as each output appears as a separate device.

Added this line to the mouse section
Code: Select all
Option "CorePointer" "true"

Actually most of this line was already there; I just added the "true" option. I don't know whether this was strictly necessary but I don't care: it's working!

Hope this helps someone.

Regards
Jonathan
JonathanEllis
Private
Private

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards