Help G550 Inst. the Dual View mode Ubuntu 9.04

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Help G550 Inst. the Dual View mode Ubuntu 9.04

Postby Beginner » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi, I could use some advise for a couple of the following issues. By the way I am no coder nor am I a Linux crack.
I am, running Ubuntu 9.04 with a Matrox G550 and two Monitors 1. Samstron 96P and the other one is an old Dell P790

Q.1
Do I need to install the unofficial driver for using my Matrox G550 in Dual Mode ?
Q.2
Why is my xorg.conf file empty, I mean there are no special details of my installed hardware listed. Isn't that the file where the X-Server settings are saved and needed to use the dual mode ?

What I have done so far isn't very much accept reading all kind of posts but I did not gain any progress
in solving my problem due to my very little experience under Linux and hardware setups. If anybody can tell me or email what I need to do would be great.

I started to install the following driver: sudo sh matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run --overwrite.
First I was asked where to unpack the driver and this was where I already got confused. Where should I put it to ?

Then when I used the given path the following message appeared on my screen:
Creating directory /home/patrick/matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4
Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 0c353a611f71f31fb3ccb53b1ae591f7 is different from 9ba5993efcf4630858cd0ef820ec8f53

So this is where I am stuck so far. I have no idea how to fix this problem and what other tasks and surprises I need to handle with. Compile, etc. ???
Here are some hints for anybody how is willing to help.
#################################################################################################
xorg.conf:
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
#################################################################################################
/usr/src$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G550 AGP (rev 01)
/usr/src$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Ranges
(II) MGA(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 160 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 96 kHz, PixClock max 260 MHzsudo lshw -class video
[sudo] password for patrick:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: MGA G550 AGP
vendor: Matrox Graphics, Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=32 mingnt=16

Thanks in advance for any kind of help to get this beast running. :wink:
Beginner
Private
Private

Re: Help G550 Inst. the Dual View mode Ubuntu 9.04

Postby Beginner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:11 am

Well I read a couple more posts and X11 descriptions and found out that HAL is causing the empty xorg.conf.
Now I still have a problem running matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run
I downloaded the matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run and received a warning message when saving the downloaded content:

The file http://projects.tuxx-home.at/mga/driver ... taller.run
is a binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.

So if this causes the following failure what am I doing wrong. Ain't I supposed to download the file and save it like a normal text file ?

root@patrick-desktop:/home/patrick/downloads/software# sudo sh matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run
Please, enter the directory to extract the files [/root/] /home/patrick
Creating directory /home/patrick/matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4
Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 142f0c68b2a8cd3f5cc1fbf3afc1be50 is different from 9ba5993efcf4630858cd0ef820ec8f53
Beginner
Private
Private

Postby Beginner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Ok I read the most important post, that there is no driver out yet for using the Matrox G550 under Ubuntu 9.04 in Dual Mode.
:evil:
Beginner
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes, exactly, you will need to use the default mga driver supplied with Ubuntu and see how far you can get with that. The unofficial and official Matrox drivers never made it to work with the recent Xorg version unfortunately.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards