G550 performance (maybe)

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

G550 performance (maybe)

Postby topolinik » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 am

Hi, I just launched a funny test on my hardware but I need some explanation.
My test was a benchmark via a single application: glxgears and its win32 port wglgears.
Launching wglgears (well, in winxp sp3) in full screen mode (1280x1024) gave me this average frame rate: 56.0 fps.
The same with glxgears (full screen, 1280x1024) on ubuntu 8.04.2 gave me a different result: 35.5 fps. (Oh, soooo low!)
Please, note in both the environments I used the latest version of the drivers.
NOW:
ok, you may say glxgears is NOT a benchmark and I agree. Further, the software layers below the executable are quite different, right.
But, is that all? Can these explain a 36.6% less performance on the same machine? Is hardware result so sensitive to software (I mean, software design but also compiler capabilities)?
What's your opinion about the matter?
topolinik
Major
Major

Re: G550 performance (maybe)

Postby tuxx-home.at » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:39 am

My opinion is that the latest windows driver is probably 3 years younger than the latest linux driver. A lot of things have changed in the X-Server regarding hardware acceleration and things like that and they are all not part of the mga driver, that's why it probably doesn't make use of them and sucks in performance as you saw.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Re: G550 performance (maybe)

Postby topolinik » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 pm

tuxx-home.at wrote:... the latest windows driver is probably 3 years younger than the latest linux driver.

Well, they are actually the same age (latest linux driver for gxx series and latest win32 driver with 3D enabled) but I agree Xorg had changed a lot in the last few years, while xp substantially remains the same since 2001 and this is a great big difference.
Thanks a lot.
topolinik
Major
Major

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards