Changing my screen resolution

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Changing my screen resolution

Postby johne53 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:32 am

I'm using a G400 card (in dual-head mode) with a Debian based distro called 64studio. My LH monitor runs at 1600x1200 and my RH monitor is 1200x1024. I need to make a high quality screenshot so I'd like to temporarily reduce the resolution of (at least) the LH monitor to say, 1024x768. This should ensure that the windows displayed in my screenshot will be as large as possible.

64studio won't let me make run time changes to my display preferences - even though a feature exists to do this. It just tells me that my X Server doesn't support the XRandR extension that would be needed to achieve this. Because of that, I'm assuming I'll need to manually edit a file somewhere.

I looked in the most obvious place (xorg.conf) but I couldn't see any setting I could change (in fact, I can't see anything in xorg.conf that would tell each display what mode to run in). Am I looking in the wrong file?
johne53
Major
Major

Re: Changing my screen resolution

Postby AndreasMeier » Mon May 18, 2009 10:11 am

No you don't look in the wrong file.
Have you tried the application krandr or xrandr ?
Maybe with this app you can change the resolution. The app is a small icon in the systray, when startet.

But why are you not making the screenshot just with your normal resolution and cut the unusable rest of the image away (with GIMP) ?
Perhaps this is easier IMHO.

Regards
Andreas
AndreasMeier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Changing my screen resolution

Postby JonathanEllis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:39 pm

AndreasMeier wrote:But why are you not making the screenshot just with your normal resolution and cut the unusable rest of the image away (with GIMP) ?

You could also scale the image in GIMP to reduce the resolution to whatever you want.
JonathanEllis
Private
Private

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards