MD5 checksum error

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Re: MD5 checksum error

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:53 am

I would file a critical bug report on that issue with OpenSUSE. Things like that should _NEVER_ happen.

But anyhow, if you have your system back up and running, you will see that the driver installation will work out the way you approached it at your first try.

Good luck :)
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby last.cowboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:19 am

System newly installed, the script runs without errors now. :-)
I fear I got a hardware problem with some device on the SCSI bus, sometimes the bus freezes for minutes before it resets itself - maybe the system got messed up by that... Anyhow, that's a different topic.

========================================
Matrox Linux Driver Install Script
========================================

Can't find the X Server version you are currently running (1.5.2) in
this installers database, so for your convenience, I'll try to install
the latest available version (7.1.0) onto your system.

If you think this is alright, simply hit <RETURN> here, if you don't,
stop here by pressing CTRL-C and please post this notice in the
Unofficial Matrox Technical Support Forum (http://matrox.tuxx-home.at)
and I'll see what I can do for you.

Please strike any key to continue...
You are about to install the X server driver,
do you wish to continue? (y/n) y

An X driver exists. Not overwriting... use -overwrite to override)

Installing HAL driver...

bigboss:/tmp/Matrox_unofficial_driver #

Now I gotta find a way to uninstall the existing mga driver. If I select the video driver package in the setup tool yast to be uninstalled, yast wants to uninstall the complete Xserver because of the necessary dependencies...
If I understood you correctly in some of your other posts the main disadvantage of the overwrite-switch of your script is that an updated offical driver package would override the "unofficial driver", right?
I guess the same would happen if unresolved dependencies are discovered and resolved during an official update - so the overwrite-switch of your script seems to be worth a try...
last.cowboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am

Really the whole X server? I don't think so, maybe a package containing all video drivers. On Debian based system, when trying to install xserver-xorg-video-mga, it wants to remove xserver-xorg-video-all which is not a problem actually, as this just removes all video drivers, but not the X server.

What exactly does yast want to remove?

If it really wants to remove the whole X server package, you can force the deletion of only the mga driver on the command line. First, you need to find out the name of the package containing the mga driver:

Code: Select all
rpm -qa | grep -i mga

One of the matching packages should give you an idea about the name of the mga driver package, then, uninstall it manually with

Code: Select all
rpm -e --nodeps PACKAGENAME

You should be good to go, then.
Now, reinstall the unofficial mga driver because without using the -overwrite switch you already mentioned, nothing has been installed by now.
The -overwrite switch is nice, but when SuSE has a new version of the Xorg mga driver available, it will simply overwrite the unofficial driver again and at your
next reboot, you will end up with a defunct X server configuration, so that's a timebomb.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby last.cowboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Maybe I was a little bit too fast...
I tried the --overwrite option without uninstalling the current driver. The driver was replaced - and X would not come up again after rebooting. Couldn't even start Sax to reconfigure or redetect the graphic card. Tried the --uninstall option of the unofficial matrox driver but still could not get X or Sax up again. Reinstalled the Suse video driver package - and then was able to reconfigure the graphic card.

Back to the uninstall possibilities of yast:
I located the package containing the mga driver (amongst a lot of other graphic drivers). If that is selected for deinstallation, yast complains about missing dependencies and offers 3 possibilities:
- uninstall the whole X-server
- do nothing
- ignore dependencies and just uninstall the selected package.

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2009-03-17 16:04:19 ####

xorg-x11-server-7.4-17.3.i586 benötigt xorg-x11-driver-video, was aber nicht angeboten werden kann
Nicht installierbare Anbieter: xorg-x11-driver-video-7.4-19.4.i586[openSUSE 11.1-0]
[ ] Folgende Aktionen werden ausgeführt:
Deinstallation von xorg-x11-server-7.4-17.3.i586
Deinstallation von xorg-x11-driver-video-unichrome-20080807-12.44.i586
Deinstallation von xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd-1.2.3_081202_ed532a7-1.1.i586
Deinstallation von sax2-8.1-542.7.i586
Deinstallation von sax2-ident-8.1-542.7.i586
Deinstallation von sax2-gui-8.1-542.7.i586
[ ] xorg-x11-driver-video-7.4-19.5.1.i586 behalten

[ ] Einige Abhängigkeiten von xorg-x11-server ignorieren

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

So I guess your suggestion using "rpm -e --nodeps PACKAGENAME" would be the same as selecting the third yast option.

My thoughts were that using the --overwrite option would have more or less the same effect as uninstalling the current driver while ignoring the dependencies: The driver is replaced but updates of the Suse driver should not be installed to not overwrite the unofficial driver. By uninstalling the current driver yast will probably always complain about missing dependencies (I don't know whether the 'ignore' option would be valid for just the deinstallation or also for all future installations/updates...), by just overwriting the current driver the dependencies might seem fulfilled to yast but the admin has to know to not allow updates.
Well, since overwriting didn't really work I'll try uninstalling the current driver ignoring the dependencies - maybe that'll get me further...
last.cowboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:34 pm

The reason why your X server probably could not have been started after the installation of the unofficial mga driver is due to the well known ABI mismatch issue. You need to add an additional line to your xorg.conf, manually, don't use SaX to configure your X server when you have Matrox hardware.

Here's the link to the topic dealing with the ABI mismatch issue: [http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78]

If uninstalling this single package via Yast causes so many troubles, you may even want to set this package to "hold" so that it is not considered for future updates and is being left alone by YaST when updating your system. That should do the trick, too.

Again, you don't need to do this if you remember to re-install the unofficial mga driver everytime it gets replaced by the Xorg version again.

My thoughts were that using the --overwrite option would have more or less the same effect as uninstalling the current driver while ignoring the dependencies: The driver is replaced but updates of the Suse driver should not be installed to not overwrite the unofficial driver.

That's not the case, unfortunately.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby last.cowboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Tried again installing with the --overwrite option without uninstalling the Suse driver, added <Option "IgnoreABI" "True"> to the <Section "Server Flags">, rebooted, no X.
Tried to start X with "startx -- -ignoreABI", got three (EE)s:

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/mga_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86ScreenIndex
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/mga_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "mga" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available.

Same (EE)s also in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Then searched for kdmrc, found it in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. The line "ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp" is commented - like most other lines in that file.

"startx" should be possible without the change in the kdmrc-file, right?
last.cowboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Right, but I seem to always forget that opensuse has the new xorg version too which is currently unsupported by the mga driver. I definetly need to make a sticky about that because I do always forget that fact, sorry.

So, currently there are not much options available for you, downgrading the x server would be an option as well as installing the xorg mga driver which definezly will not suite your needs...

Argh, I hate it... I still don't know where this unresolved symbol comes from. It's not even mentioned anywhere in the driver source...
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby last.cowboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, I guess I stick with the Suse version then, main reason to test the unoffical driver was to see how the 3D gadgets of the desktop work - I think if I try very very hard I can live without those... ;-)

Thanks a lot for you support!
last.cowboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:15 pm

If I could only get access to a machine that has a G-series card built into it, it would be possible for me to track this issue down probably...
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Previous

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards