Need Help plz!!!

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Need Help plz!!!

Postby d3fc0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 am

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
unofficial drivers not working
official drivers working with problems, first screen no issue, 2nd, 3rd 4rd of each card graphic problems
I read the whole internet, and cannot figure it out
:cry:
Attachments
xorg.conf
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Xorg.0.log
(129.74 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
d3fc0n
Private
Private

Re: Need Help plz!!!

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:09 am

The first problem is, that your built-in nVidia card is marked as the primary display adapter.
Is there any way in your BIOS to change that?

Xorg.0.log wrote:(--) PCI:*(4:0:0) nVidia Corporation unknown chipset (0x084d) rev 162, Mem @ 0xfd000000/24, 0xd8000000/27, 0xd6000000/25, I/O @ 0xdc00/7, BIOS @ 0xfeae0000/17

BusID 4:0:0 might also tell us that this is not a built-in card, but an additional video card you plugged into your system. If that is the case, please try to pull it out before you continue to work on your setup.

Then, how much videoram does your G200 have? Are you sure it has 32MB of VideoRam in total? I'm asking because you told it to be 8MB on head #0 f.ex., but actually, it just got 2MB:

Xorg.0.log wrote:(**) MGA(0): VideoRAM: 8192 kByte
(II) MGA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 2048 kB

So, for testing purposes, you might want to start with a low resolution on all heads just to see if you can get them to work.

Then, you can try to comment out the "OldDmaInit" option for all eight heads.

As a sidenote: If all your eight monitors are really the same, you can get rid of seven monitor sections in favour of one generic one. All screens can then be
configured to use the same monitor identifier, that usually helps in keeping the xorg configuration file small.

But, the main problem in your configuration seems to be that the nVidia card is active and therefore, the mga driver has some memory detection problems for
all but the first head (which is a common symptom in this case):

Xorg.0.log wrote:(EE) Cannot find empty range to map base to
(II) Multi Device Card detected: [2:0:0][2:4:0][2:8:0][2:c:0]
(EE) Cannot find empty range to map base to
(WW) MGA(1): Could not retrieve video BIOS!

Besides that, the mga driver is unable to retrieve the video bios information for most of your heads (another common symptom).
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby d3fc0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks for that quick reply,
let's see tuxx:
1.- The first problem is, that your built-in nVidia card is marked as the primary display adapter.
Is there any way in your BIOS to change that?
NO, for some reason xfx 750a sli, got the option, but does matter how many time i change to boot from my pci card, keeps using nvidia onboard card, already have a ticket on xfx website and im waiting for answer..

2.-Nvidia video card is not aditional, its build in mother board

3.- my video card is Matrox g200 MMS 32 MB, so each head is 8 MB, that why i addded on xorg.

4.- i will take out the OldDmaInit as you said.

5.- i keep the monitors like that because im trying the help others in the forum to understand XORG specially noobs like me, so when they add there own monitors they edit it. in my case you are right i will make only 1 as standard.

Let me know what else could i do regarding the onboard card to make it work, thanks again
d3fc0n
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Can you try to disable the IRQ or PCI slot of the card?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby d3fc0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 pm

how? on the bios???
d3fc0n
Private
Private

Postby d3fc0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:01 pm

on bios i can disable on board card, and i have an option that if pci card present, then i can tell pc to boot from pci and disable internal, but like i said, i makes beepings on boot like indicating it cannot boot from the pci.
i put a tickect on xfx website, they said i should used jumpers on mobo, since the pci express shoud be used as primary if internal wants to be disable, which sux im waiting for them to explainme that.

anyway, you are telling me the situation with the primary card its making the problem, so this is my inocent question:

the first monitor on the quad card works fine, but the rest will not work since the bios cannot be retrieve, what happend if i have a copy of the video card bios on desktop, is there any command to tell xorg to just use the same bios for the rest of 3, since they all are the same??

thanks again for your time tuxx
d3fc0n
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Regarding the beepings: When you disable the nvidia card, do you still have a monitor attached to it? My Dell and my HP workstations start beeping when I disable the onboard card and have a display plugged onto the onboard card. Maybe just a wild guess, but worth to mention anyways.

Unfortunately, as to my knowledge, you can't tell Xorg to recycle the BIOS of the first, working head.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby d3fc0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Yeah, i know what you mean, i used to have another pc that when i installed this cards the only way to make them primary was to trick the system, disable the onboard card from windows and then deatache the monitor while thepci card was attached to another monitor, it looks like i can simply disable the card and boot from my matrox.... its kind of a mess, i got 8 monitors and i have 1 (the 9th) just for booting, after i decide if i want windows or linux i goes disable
mmmm well if i find a solution i will post it, thanks for your time
cheers
d3fc0n
Private
Private

Postby susanspy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Hello all,

Susan here, i am a complete newbie here so please bare with me, btw this place rocks this has all the information any new person to this scene wants, please post updates as well.

Thanks.

cheers!!!
susanspy
Private
Private

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards