Driver installation - ... X Server version...

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Driver installation - ... X Server version...

Postby cdaaawg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

After much googling in an attempt to get my Matrox G400 fully operational, I came across this forum, which appears to have an active and knowledgeable community. I hope someone can help me with my dilemma.

The adapter card is recognized as a Matrox G400/G450 rev. 5 and dexconf configured xorg.conf for two displays using the mga driver. However, there is no output on the second connector, so I thought it might be a driver issue. Although it may be a faulty board, as I purchased it used from a local shop, I thought I'd give tuxx-home a shot.

Running fully updated Ubuntu 8.04, I get the following message when running the installer:

========================================
Matrox Linux Driver Install Script
========================================

Can't find the X Server version you are currently running (1.4.0.90) in
this installers database, so for your convenience, I'll try to install
the latest available version (7.1.0) onto your system.

If you think this is alright, simply hit <RETURN> here, if you don't,
stop here by pressing CTRL-C and please post this notice in the
Unofficial Matrox Technical Support Forum (http://matrox.tuxx-home.at)
and I'll see what I can do for you.

Synaptic shows that Xorg X Server metapackage ver 1:7.3+10ubuntu10. is installed. Anybody know what's up with the crazy version numbering? Is the mga driver supplied with the distro known to have this sort of problem where no output is available on the second connector? What exactly does the unofficial driver installation do when it successfully runs? Does it load a new module for the card and then modify the xorg.conf accordingly?
Attachments
Xorg.0.log
(43.63 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
xorg.conf
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
cdaaawg
Private
Private

Re: Driver installation - ... X Server version...

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 am

Synaptic shows that Xorg X Server metapackage ver 1:7.3+10ubuntu10. is installed. Anybody know what's up with the crazy version numbering?

Yes, that's a bit confusing at the first glance.
Back in time when the X server was called XFree86, the versioning was like 4.0, etc. Then, Xorg took over and started with Xorg 6.something and now we're at 7.4.
The Debian and Ubuntu versions of the X.org X server started a different versioning scheme at 1, so Xorg 1.4.0.90 on Debian/Ubuntu distributions is basically something between Xorg 7.3 and 7.4 on all other distributions.

Is the mga driver supplied with the distro known to have this sort of problem where no output is available on the second connector?

Yes, because no distributions are allowed (??) to ship the official Matrox drivers with their distributions and so they have to use the open source mga driver which does _NOT_ support output on the second head of certain G-series cards. So your only choice to get that to work is to use the official mga driver from Matrox (v4.4), but, this driver does not compile and probably not work on your recent installation, and that's where my unofficial mga drivers kick in.

Basically, the unofficial mga driver v4.4.4 you can get here in the downloads section or directly from [http://projects.tuxx-home.at] is based upon the official 4.4 driver from Matrox + some compatibility fixes and updates to make it work on modern distributions.

What exactly does the unofficial driver installation do when it successfully runs?

It just installs the X server drivers (mga_drv.so) and the closed source mga_hal library (mga_hal.so) onto your system, nothing more, nothing less.
The message you quoted above is just to inform you that no native driver for your X server version has been found in the installation package, but that doesn't hurt, you can simply hit enter on the question above and the installer will install the latest compatible Matrox mga driver for you. In this case, the driver that used to work on Xorg 7.1.

Please make sure to remove the xserver-xorg-video-mga package before installing this driver because this package provides the open source mga driver for your system and everytime this driver gets updated, it will overwrite the unofficial driver again thus rendering your GUI useless again.

In the HOWTO and FAQ sections in here you can find some useful tips for installing and troubleshooting the unofficial drivers, like:

[How to install the unofficial driver packages]
[How to write an X server configuration file]
[module ABI major version doesn't match the server's version]

Please tell me if you need any further information after you read the threads above.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby cdaaawg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply as well as the clear and concise answers to my questions! I will try to reinstall as per your excellent instructions.

May I make a suggestion? The wording of the installer message is confusing to me - I thought it was telling me that it wanted to install X, not a driver that was compatible with the currently installed version. I suggest you change the wording of the installation message for your next iteration of the driver installer.

Instead of the following:

"... I'll try to install the latest available version (7.1.0) onto your system."

should read:

"... I'll try to install the latest available driver compatible with X version (x.x.x.) onto your system."

Again, thank you for your efforts. I will reply with the results of my installation of your unofficial mga driver v4.4.4.
cdaaawg
Private
Private

Postby cdaaawg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Well, that was a hassle! :o I did as you instructed and removed Ubuntu's xserver-xorg-video-mga package (which also removes the xserver-xorg-video-all package) and then installed the unofficial mga drivers. I was unable to get X working with anything but 800x600 on the default display and nothing on the secondary display. I was unable to configure via dexconf without having the system automagically fail over to the failsafeDexconf on each attempt. After beating my head against the monitor I reverted back to the distro mga driver package installation. I was then able to get back to 1024x768. I would like to get the second monitor going, but I am at a loss as to how to proceed from here. It appears that no matter how I configure xorg.conf, when I restart X, dexconf runs but none of the choices I make are persistent, so when I log into gnome, the display is configured at 800x600. :( Any ideas? I am willing to go through the process again and provide log and configuration files at key points in the process if necessary to get this resolved. Regardless, I thank you for your efforts.
cdaaawg
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:28 pm

When running with the unofficial driver in low resolution, please attach the files /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to your next message here.
800x600 should be enough to make at least a post in here and I will then be able to see what's wrong with your setup.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby fledorze » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am

I'm under Debian Lenny with 7.3 Xorg server and Video Card Matrox MGA G400/G450 (rev 04) that I want to use with dual monitor.
I just downloaded the matroxdriver_mga-x86_32-4.4.4-installer.run and ran it with --overwrite
I was awaiting for a compilation phase. But as you said, it just quickly installed the libraries in the proper location :
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mga_drv.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.so

But the X server failed to start. The extract of the log file is :
(II) LoadModule: "mga"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//mga_drv.so
(II) Module mga: vendor="Matrox Graphics Inc. - x86_32 - Release v4.4.0"
compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 1.4.1
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)

Did I miss something ?
Should not be a compilation so that the driver is compliant with the X server ?
i'm confused.
fledorze
Private
Private

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards