Two mga450 cards

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Two mga450 cards

Postby asbjorne08 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Please move this to the mga forum. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello there.

I've been struggling for a few days getting computer with two g450 cards (both with a vga and dvi output) running with three screens on Ubuntu Hardy.

I have a kind of working xorg.conf.
That means, that whenever I reboot, I don't get the DVI output working unless I do the following:
Remove the two last screen lines in ServerLayout like it is in the attachment.

Then edit the xorg.conf file so that these lines are active again and ctrl-alt-backspace the server.

It then works fine.

Does anyone have a clue how to get the DVI output working without having to restart the Xorg every reboot?

The logfile isn't indicating any error.
I'm using the ubuntu driver, but will try go get the unofficial driver here working too soon. It told me a driver already were there, and I didn't feel like overwriting. How do I backup the old files first?

PS: Some forums mention mga_hal, would I need that?

--
Asbjørn Eliassen
Attachments
xorg.conf
xorg.conf
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
asbjorne08
Private
Private

Re: Two mga450 cards

Postby tuxx-home.at » Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm

That means, that whenever I reboot, I don't get the DVI output working unless I do the following:
Remove the two last screen lines in ServerLayout like it is in the attachment.

Sounds like you're using the Xorg mga driver or that the memory autodetection fails.
But to be sure, I need to see the logfiles (/var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old) after you have restarted the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.

It told me a driver already were there, and I didn't feel like overwriting. How do I backup the old files first?

No need to backup the driver, it can be reinstalled everytime by issuing:

Code: Select all
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-mga

In fact I strongly suggest that you uninstall the Xorg mga driver before installing the unofficial driver as the Xorg mga driver will overwrite the unofficial one everytime it gets updated and that might be annoying then.

PS: Some forums mention mga_hal, would I need that?

Only if you want to have a) proper DVI support b) hardware acceleration and c) better resolutions :) (mga_hal is included in the unofficial drivers)
I saw that you configured Screen1 to be left of Screen0. That might be a problem, but I don't know for sure without seeing the logfile.

I modified your xorg.conf a bit so that it should work without any hickups with the unofficial drivers. Please give it a try.
Attachments
xorg.conf
Slightly modified xorg.conf (+ignoreABI)
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby asbjorne08 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks. Things are mostly working by now. At least the DVI is getting there after a reboot. It also gave me the Gnome login screen on the first screen. Earlier it had been on the middle (DVI) screen which was a bit complicated when it didn't work.

I have incorporated the xorg.conf things, and the mga driver. The screens setup were probably a glitch from an earlier test. I've tried a lot of things these days. How can I be sure that I'm running your mga? I didn't see any reference in the logfile except for some different warnings like:
(WW) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)

Things seems to work now, but I still get a DRI error even though that's not very important right now.
One thing that is strange is that the monitor on the second card (VGA) is getting 800x600 resolution after a reboot, but ctrl-alt-backspace fixes this.
I assume this line says what the problem is: (it's gone in the Xorg.0.log)
(II) MGA(2): Not using mode "1280x1024" (insufficient memory for mode)

Attaching some files for you too see if you want.

The screens are flickering a lot before they settle and give me an image. This takes some time ( a minute or so). I assume that is some kind of auto resolution search. Can it be fixed in any way?

Any hints on the screen resolution would be nice, the flickering I can live with. Maybe I'll try the memory thing or something while waiting for an answer.

Are you sending your patches to xorg/Matrox so they can update what they ship? I assume so but had to ask :)

--
Asbjørn Eliassen
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.old
Logfile before ctrl-alt-backspace
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Xorg.0.log
Logfile after ctrl-alt-backspace
(58.23 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
xorg.conf
currently running config.
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
asbjorne08
Private
Private

Postby asbjorne08 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 am

adding
      VideoRam    16384

.. made it work in 1280x1024 after reboot.
asbjorne08
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Good to hear that it works now!

Adding the VideoRam option was what I meant when I said "memory autodetection failed" in my first posting.
This is a known issue but I don't know when it happens and why, so specifying the amount of VideoRam in your configuration file will always help.

How can I be sure that I'm running your mga?

The following text in the logfile states that you're using the unofficial mga driver. The ABI version warning is also a good indicator for this :)

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//mga_drv.so
(II) Module mga: vendor="Matrox Graphics Inc. - x86_32 - Release v4.4.0"
        compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 1.4.1
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(WW) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)

I still get a DRI error even though that's not very important right now.

Direct rendering is not supported when Xinerama is enabled. There's currently no way to work around this.

The screens are flickering a lot before they settle and give me an image. This takes some time ( a minute or so).

Is this fixed with the videoram fix mentioned above too?

Are you sending your patches to xorg/Matrox so they can update what they ship?

They aren't interested. Have you looked at the release date of the "latest" mga driver?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby asbjorne08 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Sorry for not answering before. I've been quite busy these days...

The flickering isn't gone with the videoram fix. But it's not that important either since the computer will be mostly on.

It's just weird seeing the each screens going on, then to standby, then another on, then two on, then no on, then suddenly all three gets up and everything is fine.
Thanks for all help, I'll be watching for updates.

--
Asbjørn
asbjorne08
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:03 pm

OK, I'm closing this one now.
I don't know why on some systems it takes longer for all screens to come up, but if that's the only problem with your system, it's OK I think.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards