G550 and 3D accelleration.

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

G550 and 3D accelleration.

Postby rew » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi,

I have a G550 card, and apparently, it should be able to do some 3D acceleration. I've gotten it so far that glxinfo mentions that DRI is enabled. However google earth still mentions that it's using MESA emulation. It is then very slow.

With my current setup, I seem to have acelerated black gears on screen 0, and working slow gears on screen 1. (Someone mentioned to put the screen in 16 bit mode, so I did...)

I think I downloaded the drivers from Matrox. That probably needs upgrading. Will report back after that's done. :-)

Situation is worse with the latest drivers from here. The HAL module is the same according to the installer. I no longer need "-ingoreABI" on the commandline.

The Matrox driver will send my screen1 into a "shiver" for a while during startup, and then clear the screen and things become "normal". The driver from here, shows the shiver on both screens, and then doesn't turn "normal".

(in case my current session crashes I've linked mga_drv.so back to the matrox version which is at least usable...)
Code: Select all
assurancetourix:/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers# ls -al mga*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 2008-01-14 11:14 mga_drv.so -> mga_drv.so.matrox*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 158296 2006-12-13 03:12 mga_drv.so.etch
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 251956 2008-01-11 21:06 mga_drv.so.matrox*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179596 2007-01-03 13:40 mga_drv.so.tuxx-home*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 392051 2008-01-11 21:06 mga_hal_drv.so*

Is it really impossible to do DRI with xinerama together? I would then expect my windows to turn black if I move them off to a screen that doesn't support GLX at the moment. I've worked with this for programs like "mplayer" for quite some time now. You learn to watch the videos on the correct screen... :-)
Attachments
Xorg.2.log.old
old startup log with 16 bits selected
(77.28 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Xorg.2.log
newest startup log with 24 bpp
(77.2 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
xorg_3d.conf
the config file (newest version with 24 bits selected).
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
rew
Private
Private

Re: G550 and 3D accelleration.

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

With my current setup, I seem to have acelerated black gears on screen 0, and working slow gears on screen 1.

Are you using a Xinerama setup at the moment? If so, that's the best you can get. Screen 1 is unaccelerated in terms of hardware acceleration and therefore
uses software rendering.

A look at your configuration and logfiles (/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log) as well as the output of `glxinfo` and `xdpyinfo` as well as `glxgears -printfps` would be interesting.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:40 pm

After having a look at your logfiles, I found the following issues:

1. Why is the S3 Virge card the primary display adapter? Can you change that in your BIOS configuration?

(--) PCI:*(0:9:0) S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX rev 1, Mem @ 0xdc000000/26, BIOS @ 0xdbff0000/16

The GLcore module can't be loaded:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_Dispatch
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
(II) UnloadModule: "GLcore"
(EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (loader failed, 7)

The undefined symbol glapi_Dispatch usually gets exported in libglx.so. Your system seems to load it but it still doesn't work.
Can you please run the following command in the directory "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions" and post the output here:

$ cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions
$ for f in *; do echo $f 1>&2; nm $f | grep glapi; done

Your X server is unable to load the mga_hal submodule which is necessary for getting hardware acceleration on your card:

(EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (1)
(II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.so
(EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Please have a look at the following FAQ:
[http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78]

At least the mga_hal is required for proper operation, so please fix this and afterwards post your logfile again if it still doesn't work as expected.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby rew » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:03 pm

tuxx-home.at wrote:Are you using a Xinerama setup at the moment? If so, that's the best you can get. Screen 1 is unaccelerated in terms of hardware acceleration and therefore uses software rendering.

No... I've resigned for the moment to accept that I have to switch to a non-xinerama X server to be able do to 3D stuff. P.S. Technically the correct answer to your question is: "Yes, I'm using a Xinerama setup at the moment: I am using my normal Xinerama desktop to write these messages.... :-) "
A look at your configuration and logfiles (/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log) as well as the output of `glxinfo` and `xdpyinfo` as well as `glxgears -printfps` would be interesting.

Some are already attached above. (I probably did that just after you posted this.)

The xdpyinfo, glxinfo an glxgears output will be attached below.... I've noted by now that the -ignoreABI option is NOT optional now, the server starts with the twitchy problems without the mga_hal if I omit that option. I currently have
Option Xinerama "off"
in my config file, but the log mentions:
(**) Option "Xinerama" "on"
. I'm trying some more to get it to behave.... Ok. Got it. I had the wrong config file setting option (-f apparently does something else).

I do NOT have the option to set the MGA card as the primary display. :-( Sorry. If I do, then things completely didn't work if I selected that. I don't remember, the hardware setup was done some years ago....

I now get 240 FPS on the :2.0 display, and 160 in software on the :2.1 display.

The GLXCore module doesn't load in the first go, but it then does later on in the startup. This is something I first worried about, until I found someone on a forum posting that this was how things are supposed to be (or at least were the same for him).

Others seem to be able to get around 1200 fps on glxgears, right? I still have a performance problem, right?

P.S. I just tried google earth again. It now complains that it can't access the graphics card, and won't start at all right now.
PPS: The accellerated gears "ghost" on the second screen. i.e. they can be seen in funny colors on the second screen....
Attachments
glxinfo-2.1.out
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
glxinfo-2.0.out
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
xpdyinfo.out
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
rew
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 am

After looking through old, unanswered posts I found this one - sorry for not answering earlier!

Using the fakexinerama extension compiled into your libXinerama might help you get this working as mentioned in the following topic in here:
[http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=472&p=3281&hilit=libXinerama#p3281]

The provided libXinerama would replace yoru existing one, adding the Pseudo-Xinerama feature to it which can be controlled using a configuration file .fakexinerama in your home directory.

That would combine the best of both worlds for your setup, having hardware acceleration on all screens and having the look-and-feel of a Xinerama setup.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards