F-7-x86_64 + Matrox G550 PCIe -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-32GD

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

I got a digital signal out of a G550 PCIe on Fedora 7 x86_64

Tried and Succeeded
No votes
Tried and Failed
50%
Never Tried
50%

Total votes : 2

F-7-x86_64 + Matrox G550 PCIe -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-32GD

Postby admered1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 pm

The short summary is that I can not get a picture. I cannot even get anything above a uniform, untroubled black.

I have used the downloaded HAL and driver. The card will happily feed an analogue signal to a monitor, but apparently will not send a digital signal. I have another machine with an Nvidia card sending over the same cable to the same TV quite successfully. However, I do know that the TV can be VERY picky over what signals it will accept and doesn't give any clue as to whether it is getting an incompatible signal or none at all. I have tried all the same mode lines that work fine out of the Nvidia with the Matrox, to no avail.

I guess question one is, has anyone got Fedora 7 x86_64 to successfully produce a digital signal.

I will include a bunch of files and logs to help with diagnosis when I am next in the vicinity.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy M
admered1
Private
Private

Config files and results

Postby admered1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:15 pm

I have gone round and restarted all of the compatibility tests, just to be sure I hadn't missed something. I have attached the final results with comments.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Andy M
Attachments
Xorg.0.log
The X log file. As you can see from this, the HAL is accepted and loaded. The DRI subsystem is enabled and ready, the card detected (or was told about) a digital monitor on port 0 and the resolution was correct for the mode selected. It just doesn't light
(46.45 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
xorg.conf
This is a generic file. See the modes requested in the Screen section. Each of these has been uncommented in turn, on it's own. Each time the result was something very similar to the output in the next file, but with the relevant details for that mode. In
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Sharp-LC-32_EDID.log
This is an excerpt from the Xorg.0.log file when the G550 was still asking the monitor for EDID data. It shows that the monitor does not tell the truth about it's modes.
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
admered1
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Phew, that's a tough one.

I don't know what's wrong with your setup or if this will work at all, but the
only thing I know is that sometimes the timing values needed to gain proper
resolutions are different depending on what connector is used to connect
your graphics card to the display, e.g. using a DVI connection, you'll have
to use different modelines compared to an analogue connection, but that's
all I can say at this moment.

Have you tried to contact the official Matrox Tech support with this question?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby admered1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:48 pm

You're not kidding on the tough one remark ! :-)

I have tried a huge variety of Modelines and get variations of "not a flicker", a blank mode in the top right hand side or the mode "auto" but either way no picture.

I tried Sharp's "Technical" support line and got the bloke to finally admit that 1) They aren't actually Sharp, they're a 3rd party service company. 2) They have the same manual as I do and nothing more and 3) They have no way of escalating queries to Sharp. He didn't seem to like being called "Talking Manual Service" though .. >;-)

As for Matrox, I had assumed from your comment that they had "Pulled Away" from supporting the Linux drivers that I would have even less joy there than with Sharp. If you do have a contact number for some real support from Matrox .. not just "Have you turned it off and on again", then I would be most grateful.

For my next trick, I intend to try and rebuild the mga_drv.so file for my OS ... just in case it really is connecting, but is sending out a blank signal .. although why it wouldn't declare the mode if this was the case is beyond me ... just desperate I guess. I've already got through 3 other graphics cards that don't support 720p through DVI-D -> HDMI in a variety of different ways. The Matrox is pretty much my last gasp.
admered1
Private
Private

Fedora 7 Source RPM and patches

Postby admered1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 am

Before I start, I should just say that it still doesn't do anything more than twitch, but at least it can now be built a little easier for Fedora users.

I am hoping that someone with a 32 bit system and the G550 DVI will fire it up and see if the Digital output works and also the same for someone with a 64 bit system. I am hoping that it is a 64 bit-ism that can be fixed. If the 32 bit system works and the 64 doesn't then we have at least the beginnings of an answer.

Please find the following files at http://www.anvil.org/g550/
I tried to attach them but they were variously too big or the wrong postfix.

mga-tuxx-home.at.patch

This is the difference between the core source code of the
current Fedora standard xorg-x11-drv-mga package and
the code as tweaked by AG and released on this site.

mga-anvil-org.patch

This is a couple of small patches of my own to make
the above build in the F7 environment.

xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.4.6.1-4.fc7.src.rpm

An SRPM that includes all of the above.

xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.4.6.1-4.fc7.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.4.6.1-4.fc7.x86_64.rpm

The binary RPMs to install.

Please bear in mind that these packages do not include the non-free binary hal from Matrox. They are just the same as the source code from this site, with packaging.

*** You still need to copy the mga_hal_drv.so file into the xorg drivers directory *****
admered1
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:13 am

Before I start, I should just say that it still doesn't do anything more than
twitch, but at least it can now be built a little easier for Fedora users.

Well, so, what did you do then? ;) Is this patch a merge of the unofficial
mga driver to the latest Xorg mga driver but still allows to load the mga_hal
library?

If so, it would be great!

Does it fix your problem too or are you experiencing the same issues as
mentioned in your first post?

My real problem is, that I don't have any G-series cards anymore to test
drive your patch nor to debug errors in the current mga driver or anything
related to this, so I can only rely on what other people are saying.

If you feel this is right, I'd like to build a new unofficial driver version with
your patch (mga v4.4.4) and let others out there test it ;)

Many thanks for the great work!
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby admered1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:32 am

They are the Fedora 7 sources for this driver, minus the two red hat patches, which seemed to be detrimental to loading the HAL. As far as the 64bit OS is concerned at least, this build made no positive difference other than being easier to compile and install.

Sadly I am saying this in the past tense as I have sacked the G550 in favour of an ATI card which is in and working. I have only the one 64bit Mobo and am unlikely to try again with the Matrox card unless and until someone reports a success.

I strongly suspect that it is a 32 vs 64 bit issue and that the 32 bit driver will work just fine in the same system. If someone with the hardware would like to take this build and run with it, then they are more than welcome to do so.

Good luck folks.

Andy M
admered1
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:39 am

So basically you used the Xorg mga driver 1.4.6, revoked the changes that
eliminated the loading of the HAL and ran a diff against the unofficial driver,
right?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby admered1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:03 pm

That about covers it .. plus I had to add a couple of minor changes to make the whole thing build. The unofficial driver delta is contained in one patch file, with mine in another so all can see what was done.

Andy M
admered1
Private
Private

Postby tuxx-home.at » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:18 pm

OK, then I'll package that and let people testdrive it ;)

Thanks for this work!
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Re: F-7-x86_64 + Matrox G550 PCIe -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-32GD

Postby nordicnurse » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Perhaps not related to this, I'll post it here anyway. Maybe it'll help someone.
I myself have Sharp Aqous LC32GA9E lcd which I've been trying to get to work first with Matrox G550 and recently with nvidia card. My problem is that the lcd seems to give improper edid info. Specifically, I think it gives out data belonging its parallel 37" model, at least the physical dimensions for the screen size seem to fit that.
nordicnurse
Private
Private

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards