G450 on Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Re: G450 on Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon

Postby kag » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 pm

You are right, after double-checking in my manual, the supported values are indeed 30-110 / 48-170. However, after 1) correcting these values, 2) swapping the values in xorg.conf and 3) physically swapping the monitors the result is the same. I'm including X.log.

Since it seems to be so problematic, I would like to at least have single monitor working right. It's almost correct: I'm running 1280x1024 (ok) but I'm stuck at 75Hz (would like 85Hz) and 3D support doesn't seem to be turned on. I'm including my current xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log.

Thanks in advance one more time.
Attachments
X.out
1. Dual Monitor Log
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
xorg.conf
2.1. Single Monitor Configuration
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Xorg.0.log
2.2. Single Monitor Log
(40.13 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
kag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 am

the result is the same.

Alright, then you're out of luck with this configuration. I hope Matrox will fix the MergedFB issue with their next mga driver release (please don't ask me
_WHEN_ this release will be available, I don't know, it might even take a year or longer for the next version to be released...).

I'm running 1280x1024 (ok)

No, you're running 1280x960 according to your log- and configuration files.
Code: Select all
(**) MGA(0): *Driver mode "1280x960": 130.0 MHz, 75.2 kHz, 74.9 Hz

And that's maybe the reason why your frequency is set to 75Hz (74.9, to be exactly ;) ). Try to change the desired resolution
in your xorg.conf from 1280x960 to 1280x1024 in your Screen section and it should be fine afterwards.

3D support doesn't seem to be turned on.

Well, it is, at least the X server component for 3D acceleration has been successfully initialized.
Have you tried to run `glxinfo`? What's the output of this command?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby kag » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:55 pm

Try to change the desired resolution
in your xorg.conf from 1280x960 to 1280x1024 in your Screen section and it should be fine afterwards.

Argh, you're right. It's fine now.

Now when I run glxgears, Ubuntu freezes. Total lockup, hitting Caps Lock doesn't even toggle the LED on the keyboard. I have to hit the Reset button and reboot.
kag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Now when I run glxgears, Ubuntu freezes.

This sometimes happens when the matrox drivers aren't correctly installed or some parts of it got replaced during a
systemupdate.
To make sure everything is fine, please simply reinstall the Matrox driver on your system with the "-overwrite" switch
appended. And if you're paranoid (like I'm), delete/rename the following files before attempting to reinstall the driver:

/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/mtx.ko (might be in a different subdirectory)
in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers: mtx_drv.so, v4l_drv.so
in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions: libglx.so
in /usr/lib: libGL.so.1 and where this link points to (IIRC libGL.so.1.3.0)
/usr/share/matrox/current/* (but I'd suggest to rename the "current" subdir to f.ex. 2008-01-08)

Please make sure to do this when the X server is currently _NOT_ running (either boot into maintenance mode
or stop your login manager, kill the X server and afterwards install it on the text console).

[HOWTO install the unofficial drivers]

If everything went fine, your system shouldn't freeze anymore.
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby kag » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 am

I must have deleted too many files :)

I went in /lib/modules/../kernel an deleted mga.ko (and not mtx.ko)
Deleted mga_drv.so, v4l_drv.so
Also deleted libglx.so
libGL.so.1 and also the destination file (libGL.1.3.0 I think)

Then I installed the drivers, and when I try to load X, it crashes. I looked at the logs quickly (forgot to save it, I'll post it later) and it said something about not finding GLX and V4L...

Is there an easy way to repair this? If not, it's not too bad, it's an experiment machine.
kag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tuxx-home.at » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 am

I went in /lib/modules/../kernel an deleted mga.ko (and not mtx.ko)

That's not really a problem as long as you know how to rebuild your kernel modules.
Usually, a directory called /usr/src/linux* should be available on your system. It should also contain a valid configuration file, if not, try to copy
over the running configuration of your kernel if it matches your source version:

cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
pwd -P   # to see the full path of your kernel source directory
cp /proc/config.gz .
gunzip config.gz
diff -Nur .config config   # this shows the difference between your currently installed configuration file and the currently running configuration file, if appropriate

If you want to use your running configuration file instead of the currently installed one, move it in place:

mv config .config

Now you should be able to recompile your kernel:

make oldconfig
make  # this will take a while
make modules_install

Afterwards, the modules should be installed again, you will only have to reinstall your kernel image.
After compilation, it resides in the subdirectory "arch/i386/boot" and is called "bzImage". It should be copied to wherever your bootloader
is configured to read it from, have a look at your bootloaders configuration file.

Deleted mga_drv.so, v4l_drv.so
Also deleted libglx.so

mga_drv.so is OK, v4l_drv.so and libglx.so are file that are _NOT_ provided by the mga driver and therefore you need to reinstall these files.
Depending on your package management software, try to reinstall the related packages.
On Debian/Ubuntu systems, the command `dpkg -S` is able to find out to which package a file belongs:

tuxx@vi-edv003:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
xserver-xorg-core: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
tuxx@vi-edv003:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/v4l_drv.so
xserver-xorg-video-v4l: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/v4l_drv.so
tuxx@vi-edv003:~$

The files you deleted belong to the packages xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-v4l (maybe the names are similar on your system).
The following command will reinstall these packages on Debian/Ubuntu based distributions:

apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-v4l
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Postby tuxx-home.at » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Just asking if this issue is solved for you?
tuxx-home.at
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Previous

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards