Using G400 with modern linux in dual head mode

This forum is for questions about all G-series cards (G200, G400, G450, ...) that need the mga driver to work properly

Using G400 with modern linux in dual head mode

Postby tobes » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,

Following a shuffle round of computers, I have put together a new machine for day to day office work and I've put a G400 dual-head graphics card in. I've got two HD monitors hooked up to it and I'm running Linux Mint Debian Edition (a Debian-testing based distro). X -version reveals that this includes
Code: Select all
X.Org X Server 1.9.5
Release Date: 2011-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

I've managed to get an xorg.conf file put together which I believe should give me a dual-head display however despite several experiments with various drivers I'm unable to get the second screen to show any signs of life. Xorg.0.log showing the following:

Code: Select all
[    18.272] (--) MGA(1): Chipset: "mgag400" (G400)
[    18.272] (EE) MGA(1): This card requires the "mga_hal" module for dual-head operation
        It can be found at the Matrox web site <http://www.matrox.com>
[    18.272] (II) UnloadModule: "mga"
[    18.272] (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"

If I install the binary driver from this site, I don't get a graphical display at all (with unresolved symbol errors in Xorg.0.log), with the mga_drv.so from my distribution, I get a lovely clear 1920x1080 display on one monitor only...

Is there any way I can run this card twin-head with modern Linux? I've looked through the forum and it's looking like the most up-to-date linux distribution that people are reporting success with is Debian Lenny. I'd really rather use something a little more modern. Alternatively should I just go back to the parts bin and look for another card?

Thanks for any pointers!

--Toby W.
tobes
Private
Private

Re: Using G400 with modern linux in dual head mode

Postby tomcat » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Toby,
Alternatively should I just go back to the parts bin and look for another card?

Please check my report on installing an ATI Card with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1215#p6327.
If you can find an ATI card, use it. If you can't find one, buy one. The one I am using is now priced at around 50-70 EUR, IMHO no match in comparison to the time you would spend (waste) on an old and unsupported Matrox card.

my 2 cents
Tom
tomcat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Matrox G-Series Cards